October 22, 2007

Ambient & Apparel

Just as art inspires life and life does art, it's become the same 'what inspired what first' question with fashion and music. November Vogue features an article about the "sweet harmony" that exists when a shopper is coaxed into buying something solely from the music spinning in the atmosphere. After reading the article, I examined my recent shopping excursion in midtown, realizing that the obnoxious sugar-coated house deprived of even its own ambiance blasting in H&M and Bloomingdales was the cuplrit that steered me away from that glamorous silver DVF overcoat so quickly. Sure, I was hungover, but don't these stores know that everyone is hungover on a Sunday and there is hardly enough room to even bust out my moves amidst the five million tourists? That aside, I had a hard time leaving Diesel. Always trust an Italian brand for good lounge music (Armani Exchange is an exception). The super mod lay out of the shop, or the plants and stainless steel railings may have added, but I credit the soundtrack for styling a lot of the brand's Lexington location. Being in the store takes you to where they want their clothes to, which, judging by the heavy amounts of metallics and overuse of denim is the future (also see global warming ad campaign). I didn't end up buying anything, but I also stayed for more than ten minutes. And i'm still always wanting to go back, because like Depeche Mode, I just can't get enough.



Pink scarf @ yoox.com; high-waisted denim, metallic hoodie, and fedora hat @ revolve clothing. All diesel.

No comments: